June 20, 2011

June 4 (day 13)

Saturday

Today was NYI Sports Day, which was held at the University of Swaziland. 3 regions of the Nazarene church in Swaziland came together for a day of fun, fellowship, and friendly competition. The day started with us arriving bright and early...long before anyone else got there, but that's ok! Everyone just sat in the vans for awhile until we started to wake up. Eventually most of us got out and sat on the field or kicked about. Some went on to the restrooms, which were really big and open and well lit! Ha. Actually the bathroom consisted of mother nature and a tree. But again, that's ok!

Soon enough people started to show up to set things up and eventually we had all 3 regions represented. Andy asked most of us if we'd be willing to join in with the Swazis and play some sports. I said yes, even though I was kind of dreading the thought of it. I really just wanted to watch, but I'm glad I said yes because it turned out to be fun! We watched JT run with the big timers (they're so fast!) and I think he actually ended up placing. Nice work! Then a few of us went over to the courts for some volleyball. Diane, Nick, and I were placed on Manzini team A with these Swazi guys who were sweet at volleyball with their Liverpool kits on and all. We ended up winning our semi-final match and went on to play the championship match against Manzini team B, which Zach, Hillary, and Robbie were on. Unfortunately Manzini A ended up losing. But what was funny is that none of the Americans even played during the final. Guess we're no good at volleyball. Ha. But it was fine. We just sat in the grass, talked, and watched the match. We met this one guy and listened to him talk about Swazi dating, which was interesting.

Later on they held an awards ceremony and gave out trophies and medals. I got a participation medal, which is something! All in all, today turned out to be a lot of fun. Got to watch some amazing athletes in the track, soccer, and volleyball events. And it was nice hanging out with the Swazis and the MVSNU team as always. So grateful for the opportunity to come together with our Swazi brothers and sisters and just enjoy each other's company!

Tonight we had breakfast for dinner, which was just great. Sharyl and I were the Bacon Makers! It tasted so good. Everything tasted good, actually. Props to everyone who has had to slave over the stove and griddle to make dinner for 26+ people! We then had another awesome devo, where we just reflected on the experiences we've had. One thing Joe told us was to make sure that we're engaging in true ministry. Not just doing this or that FOR the people, but doing this and that WITH the people as well. It made me think of what Andy and Amy are doing here in Swaziland. They've gotten to know the country and it's people, and have been working alongside of them doing awesome things for Christ. It's amazing, and I was thinking about how much I would love to do something like that. I think I would learn so much about myself, others, and reliance on God. I love being here in Swaziland and I honestly do not want to leave yet! I could stay for soooo much longer. I really hope and pray that God gives me an opportunity to come back here (or go somewhere else) where I can learn, serve, and live for Him. It would be such a fulfilling life to be engaged in true ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment