June 11, 2011

May 22 & 23 (day 1)

Sunday & Monday

We all met at the airport in Columbus around 11am. It was kind of awkward waiting around because I didn't know anyone that well. But once we passed through security things did start to loosen up some while we waited at our gate. After eating lunch and waiting awhile we eventually boarded our plane to Washington Dulles airport. [I forgot how much I love to fly!] In Washington Dulles we had about an hour and half layover until our flight out. So we just waited around some more until we boarded for Senegal.

The flight to Dakar, Senegal was probably around 8 or 9 hours? [Can't remember.] I sat next to Holly Peffer. She is super nice. We didn't talk much though, as everyone was trying to sleep as much as they could. Before we took off we halfway met the SNU team! I can't wait to get to know everyone. But anyway, we only stopped in Dakar to get fuel, so about 1 or 2 hours later we took off again, this time for Johannesburg, South Africa.

The flight from Senegal to Johannesburg was another 8 or so hours. We arrived around 5:30pm local time, got our luggage, exchanged American cash for South African Rand [1:6.8], and headed for Koinonia. Koinonia is a Catholic guesthouse that we're staying at for just the night.  Then we're driving into Swaziland tomorrow morning. So we arrived at Koinonia, unloaded our luggage, got settled into our rooms, and had a nice dinner with the team. I got to meet some of the SNU people and I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks with everyone. After dinner most of us dispersed and headed to bed.

So far everyone seems pretty nice and fun, so I hope we'll all be able to open up to each other and grow together during this awesome experience. And I hope I'll be able to open up a lot as well. I hope God will movie in me and I hope I come away from this trip changed and more willing to bring change.

P.S. I read my notes that my apartmentmates wrote to me. So sweet! Can't wait to tell them all about this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment