July 22, 2013

more fun in Juneau

So on Friday I finished my first full week at the clinic! It was a great week and I already love where I'm working and all the people I'm working with. I've been getting to see a lot of patients on my own, which has been awesome.

On Thursday I headed downtown to work at the homeless clinic. I'll be there every Thursday. It is A LOT slower paced with a much lighter patient load, but this is because the NP really wants to establish a good relationship with her patients. After work I got to walk around downtown Juneau a bit, which was fun. It was a bit chilly and overcast, but cool because it's very touristy and there are a lot of foreigners because of the cruise ships that dock there.

Friday I started working with the other doctor in the clinic. I will be working with him while my main preceptor is away. Every 2 weeks he heads home to NY and the other doctor comes in. It wasn't a super busy day, but it was very relaxed and overall a good end to the week.

On Friday night I headed downtown to see a movie with some of the other younger folk that live in the building. I don't know if I mentioned this, but there are several people that live in the clinic. My preceptor owns the clinic and rents out some of the rooms upstairs and downstairs. Most of us work in the clinic, which is fun because it's close-knit and friendly. I currently have two apartment mates. One is the doc's nephew and the other is another PA student that just arrived. Then next door is another girl who works down in the clinic with me. Today we all went down to the Glacier and hiked around in the rain, which was cold and wet but fun at the same time. We then came back and had a "family dinner". It's nice having some friends and I think we'll have a good time together over the next couple weeks exploring Juneau and doing fun things outside. I have a feeling I'll be sad to leave this place because I already love it so much.

It's supposed to rain pretty much all week, which is a bummer because it was sooo nice the first few days I was here. Hopefully it won't be too rainy and I'll still be able to get out and do some stuff. At least I'll be working most of the day, so I won't be too antsy to get outside in the rain haha. Well I think that's really all for now. Here are some more pictures!

 Salmon Hatchery

 Mendenhall Glacier
 Nugget Falls. I was soaked wet here!

 Downtown Juneau harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment