August 30, 2013

ok, psych.

So on Monday I started my psych rotation in New Castle, PA. The first part of the day consisted of getting badges made and getting my drug screen. Then I observed my preceptor as she did her psych evals and med checks. Honestly, it was not a very interesting first day. Maybe because it really was just a boring day, or maybe because I really don't like psych that much right now. Time will tell, I guess.

On Tuesday I observed still some more. Although this day was more interesting than the first because we had a fellow referred over to crisis because he was having homicidal thoughts/plans. He ended up getting angry with the crisis guy and walked out of the office. Eventually the cops were involved and the fellow was taken over to the hospital. That was my first patient of the day. From there I observed and took notes, then wrote up my notes, and then dictated my notes. I was a bit nervous dictating on the phone for the first time, but it got easier each time I did it.

There is another student with me, so that means, for the first time, I have to share my preceptor. But anyway, she is very nice and we get along well so far. My preceptor is very nice and I like her a lot. Although I am a bit disappointed she has not asked more questions about psych conditions and medications. Maybe all that comes a little later.

The rest of the week I am off because my preceptor won't be in the office. Kind of nice because it's extra time I have to get homework/reading done. Except, I have done a very minimal amount of that, so it really hasn't been all to productive. I did, however, go to a Mumford & Sons concert last night! And let me tell you, it was absolutely phenomenal. It was at an outdoor venue, and completely packed. All kinds of different people showed up for this thing. And the band was amazing. They sound even better live than they do on their records, which says a lot. True talent.

Right now I'm in the library because I don't get wifi in my apartment. I absolutely hate the library for anyone who didn't know already. It's just a weird place and way to quiet for me. But it'll have to do for this rotation I guess. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have two roommates. They are female PT students doing their rotations at the hospital. Both are very nice! But it's kind of an inconvenience because I'm currently sleeping on a pull out bed in our very tiny apartment. Again, it will do for now. At least it's free:)

That's pretty much all there is to say for now...Wish me luck as I try to conquer this psych stuff!

MUMFORD @ First Niagara Pavilion

No comments:

Post a Comment