October 12, 2013

Children's update #2

So the more I'm working in the ED, the more I like it. I still am not seeing a ton of patients on my own, but that's okay. I'm meeting more and more residents and attendings, and so far I really like them all. They're all really helpful, and the attendings are great teachers (well, most of them). Haven't seen any really interesting cases yet, but hopefully I'll get to observe a few traumas before the rotation is over.

On Thursday I worked my first overnight shift, 11PM-8AM. I tried to sleep in that morning, but it didn't really work. Luckily I barely even got tired during the night. I also worked that shift with a friend from my class, so that also made it easier to stay awake, and it was just a lot of fun. It's been fun getting to work with other students and residents, which surprised me, because I thought I would hate it. Anyway, that night I always had at least 1 or 2 patients, so I stayed busy pretty much all night. I saw a total of 6 patients that shift, which is a lot compared to what I've been seeing on a normal day. I liked that there were only a few people working, because I got to see more patients and it was easier to find my preceptor and get patients in and out on in a timely manner. That shift was also the first time I got to work with my actual preceptor for the rotation. He is nice, but doesn't talk very much. I kind of like having a lot of different attendings because they each give you a different experience, but at the same time, it is hard to gauge how much you're improving.

When I got home Friday morning I tried to stay awake for a little bit, but that didn't happen. I slept for like 3 hours and then stayed in bed for a bit and watched netflix. Then I just didn't feel well at all...I think I might of got food poisoning or something. So I stayed in bed basically the whole day and fell asleep around 7PM for the night. I must say, even though I loved working the overnight shift, it really really messed up my sleep. Kind of sucks I only work 1 more 11-8, but also kind of glad to not have my sleep cycle messed with.

This week I work 4 days and then I'm off 3 days. I'm going to Hocking Hills for our annual fall family reunion, so I'm pumped for that. It's always a lot of fun, and Hocking Hills (or Old Man's as we call it) is always so beautiful this time off year. Hopefully it cools down for the weekend, as it's been a little too warm for my liking lately. 

Well that's pretty much it...Hopefully this week is more interesting so I'll have some stories to share next time I write!

No comments:

Post a Comment