June 12, 2011

May 27 (day 5)

Friday

WOW. WOW. WOW. Today was so incredible! By far my favorite day while we've been here. Today just brought to mind so many of the things I'm thinking about and sorting out in my head. [As in, where my life is going and will be going as a PA wanting to go into medical relief] It was just so enjoyable and it makes me so excited for what God has in store for me.

So our clinic site was only about 45 minutes away, back on all these dirt roads. Once we got there we helped the team unload the trailers and carry supplies to where they needed to me. We set up at this school that the Luke Commission (TLC) divided up into areas for eyeglasses, triage, prayer, counseling, dentistry, pharmacy, clothing distribution, and the Jesus film. Once we had unloaded everything we listened to Harry Vanderwal (the doctor) talk to the people and explain how everything was going to work. He also introduced his boys, triplets Luke, Zeb, and Jacob, and the youngest, Zion. They sang a few songs in English and Siswati and the crowd was so impressed! It was great. Then Echo (Harry's wife who is a PA) took the group on a short tour explaining everything and why they did it that way. She also kind of explained how they got started and just how God has provided everything they've needed throughout the years because they relied totally on faith. One thing that stuck out to me was when she told us that she'll never worry about the need for doctors or "whatever you are" to work for TLC and that God will provide them we they need them. And ultimately that God will provide Luke Commissions all around the world if people are faithful and willing. This just really made me think about myself and it reminded me that God does has a purpose for me and is going to use me to help people. He has everything planned out and will always take care of me if I have faith in Him.

So then we all split up and headed into different areas to work. I first worked in the triage unit. We measured blood pressure and blood sugar and tested for HIV. It was really awesome and it felt so natural for me. But it was also really sad and I didn't think about that until I left. There was one child who was 4 years old that I tested. She tested positive. Niel, one of the staff members, asked me, "So you know what this means for her, right?" And I was just like, "Yeah...yeah." I was just so immersed in what I was doing that I didn't think until I was done about how devastating this all was. This little girl, who is so pure and innocent, has HIV because of her parents and now she has to suffer the consequences of their actions. It was heartbreaking.

Once I finished in triage I went around with Niel and he showed me how to draw blood. He asked me if I wanted to do it and I really didn't want to try yet but he told me I would have to learn eventually. I didn't draw blood from any patient but he did make me practice on him once and it was terrifying! So that was a first. I then helped him as he evaluated this woman's broken arm and I had to give her a pain shot in the butt. So that was another first. And then I helped him as he pulled teeth, which just looked so painful...I never ever want to work in dentistry. Sometimes it was so indelicate but I realized you gotta do what you gotta do. It may seem really insensitive sometimes while they're working, but they do have a lot of compassion and really do want to help you.

Eventually when I had a break I went to go eat lunch. Little did I know that lunchtime had already come and gone and it was actually 5pm. I guess I was really enjoying myself! But I ate dinner, talked with some of my team, and headed back to help Niel. There was one girl, who was maybe 4-6 years old, who got a tooth pulled and she did not flinch once! What a trooper. She got a sucker for that:) Then as we waited around Chelsea an I talked with the Vanderwal boys and played around with them. They are so rowdy but so hilarious and fun to be around! I think it would've been awesome to grow up here and help your parents in a clinic.

Eventually when every patient had been seen and when everything had been torn down and loaded back up into the trailers we all gathered together and sang a song! The joy of the Lord! We all stood in a circle, put our arms around our neighbors and sang this song while kicking our feet and laughing hysterically. It was awesome. What an awesome night. And the sky was so clear too! Gina would've so appreciated it:)

Working with TLC was so incredibly awesome and rewarding. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I think the rest of the team did as well. I don't think anyone complained once, but just helped out the best they could. Everyone did awesome. And the TLC staff are so inspiring. True dedication and commitment. I'm so glad I got to be a part of this ministry for a day and I pray that God will continue to bless what they're doing. Today was seriously so amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment