June 16, 2011

May 31 (day 9)

Tuesday

Today we went to another primary school called Living Waters. It's a lot nicer than all the other schools we've been to so far. They all wear these blue and yellow windbreaker sweats...It's crazy the difference. So we put on a 30 minute or so assembly consisting of all the same things we did yesterday. It was funny to me how they had a pianist who tried to play along to our songs that we sang. Didn't have that at the other schools! Haha. It was different, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Right now we are at Ntondoze, a preschool for orphans and vulnerable children (OVC). It's really sad that some of these kids, though most have a place to sleep, do not have parents and they just walk home alone...I think it would really hard to volunteer here, knowing that there is no guarantee that one of these kids will be back the next day. But I also think it would be one of the most rewarding jobs, because these kids are amazing. For me, with most of my sibling having been orphaned at a young age, being at a place like this surrounded by people who take care of you and love you is probably one of the greatest gifts ever. They need love more than anything else. These kids are just so precious.
....................................................................................................
Tonight was incredible. After an awesome dinner (chicken tortilla soup) we had an even more awesome devo. Joe has this incredible ability to speak the power of Christ. It's amazing and so incredibly convicting. He just talked about laying your life down and picking up your cross. It's no going to be easy by any means, but God will bless your life in so many ways. It was just an awesome time of reflection and prayer. We just sat in silence and sang praises...Christ was so present in that moment and I pray we will continue to sense his presence all throughout our days and in all that we do.

It just really made me think about my life. I know full well that I don't die to myself and pick up my cross daily, which needs to be done! It's just so easy in our world to become distracted and fall away from the Spirit and to be selfish. God easily becomes 2nd, 3rd, 4th...I pray for the day that He becomes 1st. I pray for the day that Christ becomes my everything.

Joe also asked us in who or what have we seen Christ during this trip. We answered with the HIV/AIDS taskforce, TLC, our drivers, the kids, our leaders, other students. All of these are great. But one that stuck out to me was Josh's answer, himself. For as amazing as it is to see Christ in other people, it's also so important that people see Christ in us as well. That really just put this question into a totally new perspective. Do I reflect Christ in the ways I act or the ways I treat others? And do I firmly believe that Christ is in me, ready and willing to do incredible things through someone as ordinary as myself? Really just an awesome, powerful thought.

It's seriously so awesome to be apart of such an incredible body of Christ. I'm so thankful that we're able to come together and fellowship, singing and praying and praising. It's such a blessing and I thank God for my new family.

Later on some of us went out and laid under the stars. The sky is amazing here! "Guys, let's sing the Star Spangled Banner right now." Ha. It was a lot of fun. I really have come to love my team. They're all incredible. I'm going to be so sad on the day that we have to part ways with our SNU half. I don't want to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment