February 6, 2014

i just know it.

After working in family medicine, psych, women's health, urgent care, and two emergency departments, I think I've already decided what I want to do with my career.

There is no doubt in my mind, at this point, that I want to work in emergency medicine. I love everything about it, even if can be draining of time and energy. even if you don't always get to eat on time. even if it makes you sleep deprived. even if treating geriatric patients isn't the most fun thing in the world. even if you walk into a room where a man is unconscious and lying in his own feces. even if you see people die and people live. even if you work past the time you're scheduled. etc. etc. i just know that i love it.

my experience in alaska at the urgent care and homeless clinic, at children's ED, and at forbes have been my favorite and most enjoyed rotations. i know i still have a few more left, but i have a feeling they're not going to come close to matching these ones. hopefully once all is said and done, i'll be working in some kind of emergent setting, whether it's somewhere here in the states, or overseas in a far off distance land. 

a year ago I didn't know if i could get this far or if i even wanted to. i think i'm glad i stuck with it, and can honestly say i'm proud to have gotten to this point. so looking forward to what the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment